The Portland Cement Association (PCA) presented the winners of the 2020 John P. Gleason, Jr., Leadership Awards during a virtual board meeting on Dec. 8. The award program honors members who have exhibited leadership in advancing industry programs and initiatives.
Named after John “Jay” Gleason who served as PCA president from 1986 until his retirement in 2007, the awards are held as a distinguished honor by the cement industry.
“The Gleason Awards are a way to recognize individuals that go the extra mile, helping to positively impact our industry now and into the future,” said PCA President and CEO Mike Ireland.
“Everyone involved, winners and finalists, has shown leadership and commitment toward the advancement of cement and concrete as the sustainable, resilient and preferred building material of choice in America,” added Alex Car, Gleason Award Selection Committee chair and president, Northeast Region at Lehigh Hanson.
The following are the 2020 winners and finalists in each of the respective categories.
- Winner: Kirk McDonald, vice president of technical services, CalPortland.
- Finalists: Erika Guerra, director of environmental and land resource management, Lehigh Hanson; and Robert Sullivan, vice president of government affairs, CEMEX USA.
- Winner: Steve Wilcox, cement technical director, Argos USA.
- Finalist: Nick Popoff, vice president of product performance and technical services, North America, Votarantim Cimentos.
- Winners (tie): Allyson Tombesi, environmental engineer, Titan America; and Eric Koehler, director of quality, Titan America.
- Finalist: Ed Griffith, vice president, U.S. Cement Sales, VCNA/St Marys Cement.