Cemex, S.A.B. de C.V. published its 2018 Integrated Report “Building a Stronger Cemex,” which includes a complete analysis of the company’s strategic vision, operational performance, corporate governance, and value creation at a global level. The report also highlight’s Cemex’s new 2030 Sustainability Ambitions.
“Conscious that our progress begins with our people, our highest priority and permanent commitment is to achieve zero incidents in our daily operation,” said Fernando A. Gonzalez, CEO of Cemex. “We have also strengthened our commitment to the ethical principles and values that enable us to work as One Cemex, aligning ourselves with our new Diversity and Inclusion Policy, as well as our Human Rights Policy and improved Code of Ethics.”
One of the main achievements presented in the report is the company reaching the goal of zero employee fatalities for the first year ever. Cemex reduced total employee and contractor lost-time injuries by 20 percent, a record low. Moreover, 96 percent of its operations achieved zero fatalities and zero lost-time injuries – the highest percentage in company history. Additional achievements include implementing Community Engagement Plans at 95 percent of its cement plants and achieving an alternative fuels rate of 27.1 percent, its highest rate in the past four years.
Consistent with Cemex’s commitment to contribute to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and having defined its 2020 sustainability goals some years ago, the company has expanded its vision and defined ambitions toward 2030. The company’s new objectives for 2030 include:
- In health and safety, zero employee fatalities and lost-time injuries.
- In sustainable construction, 50 percent annual sales from cement and ready-mix concrete products with outstanding sustainable attributes.
- In climate change mitigation, a 29 percent reduction in net CO2 emissions per cementitious product vs. 1990, a goal aligned with science-based targets methodology.
- Consistent with customer centricity objective, aligned with international standards and considering a baseline of 44, the company’s ambition is to reach 60 for Net Promoter Score (NPS).
- As part of employee experience, Cemex aspires for at least 80 percent of the workforce to recommend Cemex as a good place to work.
The 2018 Integrated Report can be accessed here.