FLSmidth, a global technology leader in the cement and mining industries, received validation from the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) for its carbon emission reduction targets.
By implementing its MissionZero program to achieve these targets, the company will help keep global warming below 1.5°C at the same time as delivering zero-emission solutions to help reduce global CO2 emissions by more than 10% – and becoming carbon neutral in its own operations – by 2030.
“I truly believe that the global climate challenge more than anything will find it’s solution in technology, and as a technology leader FLSmidth is uniquely placed to address this,” said FLSmidth CEO Thomas Schulz. “By setting these targets, we commit to deliver solutions to our customers to reduce emissions. We’ve already communicated strong sustainability ambitions through the MissionZero program and, with our Science Based Targets commitment, we will further accelerate these and get a clear picture on how we’re progressing with our MissionZero goals, by having specific numbers on reductions to commit to and meet year on year.”
The Science Based Targets cover the company’s emissions throughout the value chain – from its own operations, from its supply chain and, most prominently, from its customers. The latter account for more than95% of its emissions.
According to the Science Based Targets pledge, by 2030 FLSmidth will:
- Be carbon-neutral in its own operations.
- Have 30% of its spend with suppliers with similar decarbonization targets.
- Cut customer-associated emissions per revenue by 56%, or 7% year on year.
These goals are on top of the MissionZero ambition to provide zero-emission technology to the mining and cement industries by 2030.
To achieve these ambitious Science Based Targets, FLSmidth will:
- Work in partnership with its customers to improve their sustainability performance with FLSmidth’s flagship solutions.
- Accelerate investment in sustainability-related R&D and engage in strategic industry and university partnerships around the world to develop new solutions.
- Invest in renewable energy for its own operations.
“By aligning its goals with a 1.5°C future, FLSmidth A/S is ensuring it builds resilience firmly into its business model and strengthening its MissionZero program that will help reduce emissions in hard-to-abate sectors,” said Alberto Carrillo Pineda, director of Science Based Targets at CDP, one of the SBTi partners.